Activism + Feminism + Community
Created in 1973, the St. John’s Women’s Centre is the charitable non-profit arm of the St. John’s Status of Women Council. Throughout its long history, the Women’s Centre was instrumental in opening the first transition house for women fleeing domestic violence and was home to the first rape crisis centre in the province.
The Women’s Centre (SJSWC) is dedicated to providing FREE women-centered, community-based programs delivered within a safe, non-judgmental, open, and caring environment. All of our programs and services are person-centred and for women and non-binary people in and around St. John’s. The Women’s Centre offers support and programs on many issues, including social isolation, mental health, violence, marginalization, poverty, housing, trauma, and system navigation. We aim to provide opportunities for personal growth, empowerment, and social connection.
What does the St. John’s Women’s Centre do?
- We provide free, low barrier, drop-in individual counselling.
- We offer group counselling & support for intimate partner violence -Empowering
Ourselves & Helping Mother’s Thrive.
- Our Boutique Program provides clothing and personal care products.
- We offer drop in social programs.
- Provide holistic and recreational programming that encompass mind, body, soul.
- Information sessions and workshops on a variety of topics.
- Provide free safer sex supplies and drug use supplies.