The St. John’s Status of Women Council/Women’s Centre envisions equality and justice for all.
The St. John’s Status of Women Council/Women’s Centre is a feminist organization that since 1972 is continually working to achieve equality and justice through political activism, community collaboration and the creation of a safe and inclusive space for all women and gender-diverse people in the St. John’s area.
We carry out our mission through the following activities:
- The creation of a healthy work environment for staff, volunteers, students and board members.
- The provision of public education and awareness on the status of women and gender-diverse people in the St. John’s area through political activism, written reports, the media and public events.
- The creation and maintenance of safe and supportive housing for women and gender-diverse people.
- The provision of responsive individual system navigation, support and group programming for women and gender-diverse people.
- The operation of a sex worker advocacy program.
- The mentoring of community agencies sharing a common vision regarding such things as governance, structure, writing support letters, event planning, and shared fund raising and proposal writing activities.
Our Guiding Principles
The work of the St. John’s Status of Women Council/Women’s Centre is guided by our beliefs and commitment to:
We are committed to providing accessible services to all women and gender-diverse people irrespective of race, ancestry, age, sexual orientation and inclusive of those who are Indigenous, two-spirit, people of colour, trans, sex workers, and living with disabilities.
We are committed to community building and community collaboration. We hold ourselves accountable to the broad community and to those who we serve.
Our work is focused on keeping women and gender-diverse people safe, minimizing risk and working alongside them in achieving their identified goals.
Trauma Informed Holistic Support and Programs
We strive to provide services that are welcoming, respectful, compassionate, supportive and appropriate to the needs of women and gender-diverse people affected by trauma.
Knowledge and Understanding
We are invested in building and applying our best knowledge in the service of positive change. We consider the people we serve to be the experts on their own lives and we seek understanding.
We are not influenced by or affiliated with a specific political party.
Download a copy of SJSOWC’s by-laws here:
Need some help? Have a question about our programs? Wanting to make a donation or become a volunteer?
Whether by phone, email or in person, we look forward to hearing from you!